Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Ash : Book Review


Ash



Title : 
Ash

Series : -
Pages : 264
Author : Malinda Lo
Publisher : Little, Brown Young Readers
Format : Hardcover
Source :  Library









My Opinion :


The parentheses are my thoughts...


Ash, Malinda Lo's debut novel, was a short and sweet read.

In the beginning, I didn't really like it (actually, I was banging my head on the wall, because I really didn't like it at all. I thought it was slow, predictable, and the writing wasn't that good). I actually felt like the author was sugar coating her writing too much (mmmh... dang it... makes me think about cupcakes!!!!!). What I mean by that, is that there were a lot of useless sentences and information that wasn't needed in the understanding of the book (*bangs head on the desk* I promised myself; NO. BIG. WORDS. CATHEE! *sigh*)

I especially HATED the characters. I felt like the dialogue was meaningless between them. The only character I liked was the huntress; I felt like she was the only one throughout the book to have a personality (and not much of one...). Even if Ash grew on me, I didn't like her a lot.

But, all of that changed in the last 50-60 pages. The story actually got interesting (imagine the surprise! I started reading really fast!) I thought she was going to end up with the prince... but NO! (I mean, isn't this a Cinderella story... shouldn't she marry the Prince? *sigh*)

So, before the good ending, the book would have been a two roses... but it jumped to THREE!


3 roses...




6 comments:

  1. This was exactly how I felt!! But I always wanted her to end up with the faerie though I can't remember his name... Really great review!!

    Clíodhna @ http://nightmaresdreamsandsummer.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! I haven't read it but it looks ok

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is my first time hearing of this book. I am glad that it turned out to be a better read at the end- and that you stuck with it to find that out. I am curious about this book- so I will keep my eyes out for it and read a few paged of it before buying it. Thanks for sharing!

    ~Jess
    http://thesecretdmsfilesoffairdaymorrow.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is one is my to-read and sounds really good. I have seen mixed reviews about it, but I'd still like to give it a try. I'm happy to hear there's a good ending, even if the beginning wasn't so great. :)

    Angie @ Pinkindle Reads & Reviews

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is actually almost word for word what I felt while reading Ash! Lol...I was like...WHAT IS THIS TRASH THAT I'M READING!!! *Slams head into desk* but then FINALLY there was some redemptive stuff near the end and the lezie stuff in the end was a kind of shocker...but still kind of cool. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ash is actually one of my favorite books. I'm sorry you didn't enjoy it as much as I did, but thank for your honest opinion :)

    ReplyDelete