Saturday, December 10, 2011

Shut Out : Book Review!

Shut Out


Title : Shut Out
Series : -
Pages: 273
Author: Kody Keplinger
Publisher : Poppy
Format: Hardcover
Source: Library

My (High!) Opinion : Shut Out was the kind of book that is for girls and boys, and that anyone could learn something about. In its own way, it is a masterpiece, because of what it tells us; do not manipulate anyone, and be nice to everyone.

The plot (or baseline, or story) was really creative! It's actually a modern retelling of the Greek play called The Lysistrata It had all I want in a good story: a great plot, creative writing, awesome and well-developed characters! It was so special in its own way, that when I first read the          
summary, I crossed my fingers (and my toes, arms and legs for good luck) and went to see if I could get it at the library for free (because you know, books cost $money$). I seriously squealed when I saw I could get it! 

If I was in the story, I think I'd be with one of the guys from the hockey team :D I don't really like football, I think hockey is better!

What's difficult for an author who writes stand-alone books is probably putting enough in a book some people readers won't be hungry for more, or won't request a sequel or a series for the book. I understand that, but I feel like she could maybe do another story with a kind-of-the-same-theme. Am I right? (Of course I am!)

The characters were the 'hot' topic in the book. I really really really really hated Lissa's first boyfriend, Randy. He was a real jerk, dumbass, macho (call it whatever you like, he was STUPID!). I hated him! But I am so happy that *eep spoiler!!* she finally is with Cash, he sounds hot! *the spoiler is finished :D*.

The cover is cool! It kind of represents the whole idea of the book ; girls should stand up for one another. Don't you think?

Kody Keplinger is definitely a great author of Contemporary YA Fiction. 

4/5 stars



4 comments:

  1. Most high school sports teams have rivalries with other schools. At Hamilton High, it's a civil war: the football team versus the soccer team. And for her part,Lissa is sick of it. Her quarterback boyfriend, Randy, is always ditching her to go pick a fight with the soccer team or to prank their locker room. And on three separate occasions Randy's car has been egged while he and Lissa were inside, making out. She is done competing with a bunch of sweaty boys for her own boyfriend's attention. Lissa decides to end the rivalry once and for all: She and the other players' girlfriends go on a hookup strike. The boys won't get any action from them until the football and soccer teams make peace. What they don't count on is a new sort of rivalry: an impossible girls-against-boys showdown that hinges on who will cave to their libidos first. And Lissa never sees her own sexual tension with the leader of the boys, Cash Sterling, coming.

    My Say: I had this book on my shelf for awhile. I hate myself for keeping it unread for so long. Amazing Book! It has the perfect sexual tension between girls and boys that would make any young adult reader hinged on their seats. The girls will make boys beg for what they want desperately and the boys will go to many lengths to make the girls swoon for them. Its a Modern Retelling of Lysistrata play. Will the girls give up their sex strike or will the boys end their long rivalry??
    The Battle....... Is On!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's the kind of book I'd like to read ;-)

    ReplyDelete